Combining my interests of music, cooking, recipes, photos and tune talk.

Monday, August 6, 2012

Greek Night

The Meal: Greek Night - Lamb Kabob Pita Wraps and Greek Salad
The Soundtrack: The Tragically Hip - Up to Here

Coming down with a bit of a cold, I decided that I wasn't going very far from the house today so why not put together a mildly time intensive multi-part meal?  Besides being less than 100% healthwise, the evening started off well.  I cut up the lamb roast and put together the marinade while talking to my parents and put together the Tzatziki Sauce and the Pita recipe while chatting on the phone with my buddy.  Then when it came time to put on the music, I realized that I had left my iPod downtown after a rafting excursion and walked off.  In the middle of my Pita cooking, I had to turn off the oven, drive off to the water front and search.  As to be expected; gone.  So I guess its back to CDs and Vinyl for now...
For the final cooking and assembly, I tossed on Up to Here, the first full length album from the Tragically Hip.  Its a classic Canadian album that I can listen to again and again.

The Lamb: I started with the lamb since it needed the most time to marinate. The lamb selection at the local store is somewhat limited so I bought a leg roast and cut it up into cubes and placed them in a ziplock baggie along with the marinade for several hours in the fridge.  After the marinading, I soaked some wooden skewers in water and then put the kabobs on the grill.
Ingredients:
1 Lamb Leg Roast
Lemon Juice
Olive Oil
Fresh Oregano (Chopped)
Garlic Cloves (Minced)

The Pitas: After the marinade, I put together the Pita dough, since it needs to rise for about 2 hours.  Having never made it before, I got the recipe from here.  I pretty much followed that recipe.  It was fairly easy to put together other than rolling out the dough which was still pretty sticky.  It also took a while to run all the pitas through my oven since I had to take a break right in the middle (see iPod note above). But they sat on the counter like champs and still tasted great after I fried them up in the pan.
Ingredients:
4 Cups Flour
1 Tlbs Dry Active Yeast
1 Tlbs Sugar
1 1/2 Cup Warm Water
1 Tlbs Olive Oil
Salt

The Tzatziki Sauce: I got the recipe from another website.  I had never made tzatziki before and I followed this recipe.  It turned out very liquidy which appears to be a common issue according to the comments.  In the future, I'll try this again and see if I can make it less liquidy.  The sauce tasted great on the pita so it was still worth the effort.
The Salad: To go with the Kabob Pita Wrap, I whipped up a Greek salad.  The dressing consisted of the following: Lemon Juice, Olive Oil, Oregano, Salt and Pepper. Quantities can be varied to taste.
I put that dressing on top of my salad which consisted of Cucumbers, Feta Cheese, Tomatoes, Red Onion, Kalamata Olives.

Lamb Kabob Pita Wraps: After frying up the pita, I put on the lettuce, tomato, olives, red onions and then the lamb kabob, minus the skewer of course and topped with the Tzatziki sauce. Then I slapped it on the plate with the salad and it was finally chow time.


1 comment: